23 December 2010

Best Movies of 2010

I don't get to see every movie that comes out in a year. Unfortunately, I have a day job that makes me unavailable during much of the day and leaves me with little money to spend on movies that might be good. Going through the list of new film releases in 2010, I was struck depressed by the number of movies I meant to see but missed. Oh well, that's why god invented Netflix right?

What I like best about putting this list together is how often my opinion changes. While it is rare for a movie to move from bad to good, it may often move from bad to eh? or vice versa. What made it good cannot be undone (unless we're trying to look cool and pretend we didn't like a movie when we did, i.e. "The Switch"). I feel warm and fuzzy inside as I watch the "good" list surpass the other's in quantity. 2010 turned out to be a good year for movies! (Someone tell the HFPA that there were better comedies out there than "Burlesque", stat!)

Below is my list of the best of 2010. Each one was released in theatres in the U.S. this year (so video releases and foreign markets don't count) and, obviously, I have to have seen it. My picks for worst movies and "Eh?", which I call the ones I am ambivalent towards, will be posted later this week.

What should have made the list?

(in no particular order)

Iron Man 2


Harry Potter and the Deadly Hallows: Pt 1

Inception

Tron: Legacy

Kick-Ass

Splice

Scott Pilgrim vs The World

The Runaways

Shutter Island

Repo Men

Devil

Centurion

44 Inch Chest

The Social Network

Black Swan

Millennium Trilogy (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo/Played with Fire/Kicked the Hornet's Nest)

Easy A

The Fighter

The Switch

The Kids Are All Right

127 Hours

Ondine

Never Let Me Go

The Killer Inside Me

Suck

The Extra Man

No comments:

Post a Comment